Travellers always want to know how they can stretch their budgets and get more out of their trips while simultaneously spending less.
South African Airways officially launched their SAA Voyager Cheque Card in collaboration with Nedbank this week. Obviously, as a frequent traveller, I wanted to know if this card would really be beneficial to my pocket and if it would be worth my while to hop on over and get one.
As SAA CEO, Vuyani Jarana explains, the card is a great add-on to SAA‘s initiatives in delivering unmatched customer experiences. With this card “there is no need to increase or have a credit spend.” Mike Brown, Nedbank‘s CEO, adds to that when he says that the card is “a symbol for real customer value.”
With travel being an increasing aspiration worldwide, I wanted to know how I will be able to manage my travel money with this card and what the pitfalls are. Here are the main things you need to know:
- You get a Voyager mile for every R1. 60 spent.
- The card has a companion ticket benefit, which gives you the opportunity to pay for your partner’s ticket with your miles. This can only happen, though, if you have reached your spending thresholds and you only get one companion ticket per calendar year. You can get an additional companion ticket if your SAA Voyager Premium Card spend exceeds R1million per calendar year.
- Your miles expire after three years, so be sure to use them when you can and use them well.
- It is the only cheque card that earns you Voyager miles.
- A Premium Cheque Card’s membership fees are R170 per month, where a gold cheque card will cost R60 per month. The credit card will cost R2040 per annum.
- By using this American Express card, you get the fastest miles earn rate.
- You get 19 000 bonus miles with the purchase of your first SAA ticket. (These points are, however, only rewarded on completion of that trip).
- You can earn up to 15 000 bonus miles annually if you spend R300 000 or more.
- A premium card gains you access to SAA-owned departure lounges. This includes access for companion ticket holders when they accompany you (the primary card holder).
- With this card you also get premium check-in, irrespective of your class of travel, when travelling on SAA flights.
- You also get always on-flight discounts on selected SAA flights and promotional flight discounts of up to 40%.
- In addition to on-flight and promotional flight discounts, you also get 20% discount on top-up travel insurance.