Clever wordplay got me to visit Sumting Fresh, a diner-like restaurant that knows everything there is to know about street food. If I only knew what I was getting into…
When I first heard about Sumting Fresh, I thought: “Hey, another healthy eatery in town!” To my surprise, that was not exactly the case. The name rather suggests that its menu is fresh. New. Unique. Different. What it doesn’t suggest is that almost everything on the menu is deep-fried, which I suppose is what street food is all about.
What started out as street food trucks at local markets, evolved into a quirky, yellow-framed, diner-style eatery in Norwoord, Johannesburg. Sumting Fresh has been catering to people in Jo’burg’s streets for about 2 years now, with a menu that seems to be ever evolving as customers dine and comment.
Chef Andrew says things have changed a lot since they originally started. A menu that was initially launched with very similar items to that of other food trucks at local markets, evolved into a menu that features Sumting Fresh in comparison to the usual street food options available at markets, festivals and events.
Their jam jars are delightful with choices like Elderflower, Grinadella Passion and Kiwi Apple – all very refreshing and delicious. A popular newcomer to the menu is the Cheese Burger Springrolls and you’d be surprised at how many other things they have found to deep-fry. From deep-fried Mac and Cheese Balls drizzled with a tomato salsa and cheese to Gua Bao (two Taiwanese steamed buns with crumbed, deep-fried chicken) and much more.
I believe the word “fresh” has got a new meaning. At least at Sumting Fresh it has.
Travellers always want to know how they can stretch their budgets and get more out of their trips while simultaneously spending less.
South African Airways officially launched their SAA Voyager Cheque Card in collaboration with Nedbank this week. Obviously, as a frequent traveller, I wanted to know if this card would really be beneficial to my pocket and if it would be worth my while to hop on over and get one.
As SAA CEO, Vuyani Jarana explains, the card is a great add-on to SAA‘s initiatives in delivering unmatched customer experiences. With this card “there is no need to increase or have a credit spend.” Mike Brown, Nedbank‘s CEO, adds to that when he says that the card is “a symbol for real customer value.”
With travel being an increasing aspiration worldwide, I wanted to know how I will be able to manage my travel money with this card and what the pitfalls are. Here are the main things you need to know:
- You get a Voyager mile for every R1. 60 spent.
- The card has a companion ticket benefit, which gives you the opportunity to pay for your partner’s ticket with your miles. This can only happen, though, if you have reached your spending thresholds and you only get one companion ticket per calendar year. You can get an additional companion ticket if your SAA Voyager Premium Card spend exceeds R1million per calendar year.
- Your miles expire after three years, so be sure to use them when you can and use them well.
- It is the only cheque card that earns you Voyager miles.
- A Premium Cheque Card’s membership fees are R170 per month, where a gold cheque card will cost R60 per month. The credit card will cost R2040 per annum.
- By using this American Express card, you get the fastest miles earn rate.
- You get 19 000 bonus miles with the purchase of your first SAA ticket. (These points are, however, only rewarded on completion of that trip).
- You can earn up to 15 000 bonus miles annually if you spend R300 000 or more.
- A premium card gains you access to SAA-owned departure lounges. This includes access for companion ticket holders when they accompany you (the primary card holder).
- With this card you also get premium check-in, irrespective of your class of travel, when travelling on SAA flights.
- You also get always on-flight discounts on selected SAA flights and promotional flight discounts of up to 40%.
- In addition to on-flight and promotional flight discounts, you also get 20% discount on top-up travel insurance.