South Africans have become used to accepting bad customer service as good enough. It’s not. In fact, we should make a point of reporting bad customer service. Often employees in the position to offer customer service also tend to think that it is the norm to avoid any difficult situations. We have gotten so used to running away from our problems in life, ignoring conflict, that we are now not even able to address certain issues even though it is our responsibility.
So how do you start to “WOW” your customers?
- Greet them with a friendly, welcoming smile
- Look them in the eyes when greeting them
- Introduce yourself to the customer
- Do not ask them: “Can I help you?” Most of the time a customer would say that they are only browsing. Rather give them a few options and show them your specials.
- Know your product or service and inform the customer on the details with passion
- Go through the trouble to learn about other areas of expertise to be able to assist customers on that as well in the event of them needing more information.
- Look for the opportunities to do the “extra something” that will make the customer go “WOW”. This will most probably make them want to return and who will they be requesting for assistance? YOU!
Customer service is not just about doing it well enough. Well enough is not good enough. You need to strive for excellence. The above is just the beginning of turning your customers into friends.
For more assistance in customer service, consulting and training for employees at your tourism or hospitality establishment, contact Travelling Mystery Guest on 079 110 5674 or send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.